Saturday 19 March 2011

Slacker By Nature

Having a blogger motto of "Software engineer by trade; slacker by nature" may not seem like a good advert for myself, but I believe I'm incredibly effective. That's subtly difference from being efficient, and vastly different from being a fast coder; I probably wouldn't fair well in demoscene 48-hour coding challenges.

But being a slacker by nature means I'm more likely to look for a simple, path-of-least-resistance solution, which, in many software engineering domains is the "right" solution. Don't reinvent the wheel ... unless you're looking for a competitive advantage by engineering a racing wheel that is 1% more efficient for 100% extra work. In which case, reimplement your string class and XML parser while you're at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment